Udos Choice Adult Microbiotic Blend
Microbiotics are the beneficial, friendly bacteria that occur throughout the digestive tract. Poor eating habits, chlorinated drinking water, stress and disease and the use of antibiotics in food production as well as in medical treatments can wreak havoc in the gastrointestinal tract by destroying good bacteria and allowing undesirable bacteria to multiply.
Why do we need Microbiotics?
When the ratio of good bacteria to bad is lowered, problems begin to arise such as excessive gas, bloating, intestinal toxicity, constipation and poor absorption of nutrients. Whilst it is true that non-beneficial bacteria are naturally occurring in the intestinal tract problems begin when their growth goes unchecked. Microbiotics play an especially important role in keeping in check the pathogenic bacteria that cause disease.
This powerful therapeutic formula:
Guarantees 17 billion viable organisms of beneficial bacteria* that are absolutely essential for proper digestion, strong immune function and over-all health . (*at time of manufacture). The 8 specific strains used in Adults Blend have been specially chosen for their value to adult health - and have been formulated to the viable count appropriate for adults for daily maintenance. A healthy lower intestine should contain at least 85% friendly bacteria to prevent the over colonisation of disease causing micro organisms like E.coli and Salmonella.
Serving Size: 1 Cap
Servings Per Container: 60
- Lactobacillus casei is a bacteria commonly used for milk fermentation and is naturally occurring in the mouth and digestive tract. L.casei breaks down carbohydrates and inhibits the growth of pathogenic and putrefactive bacteria in the small intestine. L.casei has been studied for its antimicrobial effects and its role in cellular immunity. It has also shown to be helpful in treating diarrhoea caused by antibiotics and viruses.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus is one of the most important microbiotic strains for the health of the adult digestive tract from the mouth to the small intestine. It is primarily found in the small intestine and vaginal tract and is beneficial in inhibiting the bacteria involved in vaginal and urinary tract infections. L.rhamnosus has a high resistance to bile salts and stomach acid and therefore grows prolifically. It protects against the invasion of harmful microorganisms by stimulating gut lining cells to produce mucin, a mucous coating that also prevents toxins from reaching the blood. It provides excellent control over putrefactive microbes, and effectively inhibits disease-causing pathogens. One of the most intensively studied strains of Lactobacillus, it has been shown to stimulate immune responses.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus is one of the most prominent micro-organisms found in the small intestine. L.acidophilus produces lactic acid which inhibits yeast growth, as well as natural antibiotics which enhance immune functions. L.acidophilus has been shown to inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria such as Salmonella, Shigella, S.faecalis and E.coli. Moreover, studies have shown that L.acidophilus is effective in reducing lactose intolerance, reinforcing the immune system, and reducing cholesterol levels.
- Lactobacillus plantarum a strain from vegetal origin, is another major species found in the intestinal tract. It secretes the natural occurring antibiotic lactolin and has beneficial anti-microbial activities. This microbiotic is being studied for its efficacy against allergies and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
- Bifidobacterium breve colonizes the large intestine and is a producer of lactic and acetic acids that inhibit the growth of undesirable bacteria. It enhances immune responses against various pathogenic antigens and has been shown to repress the growth of ulcer-inducing bacteria. Recent studies have demonstrated that B.breve can colonize the immature bowel of infants very effectively and is associated with better weight gain in very low birth weight infants.
- Bifidobacterium bifidum is found primarily in the large intestine. As a producer of B vitamins, B.bifidum helps the body in the completion of its digestive process, specifically in the absorption of calcium, iron, magnesium and other vitamins and minerals. B.bifidum produces lactic and acetic acids, which lower the intestinal pH and inhibit unfriendly bacteria from growing. Recent studies have shown that B.bifidum can reduce the incidence of acute diarrhoea in infants and is beneficial in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). With regular use, B.bifidum can improve immunological and inflammatory responses in seniors.
- In a base of Ascorbic Acid, Hypromellose, Potato Starch, Silicon Dioxide and Steric Acid.
Suggested use: Consume 1 to 3 capsules per day after eating in order to help build up good intestinal flora.
Storage: Refrigeration ensures maximum potency & stability. Udo's Choice Adults Blend Microbiotics can be left unrefrigerated for short periods of time and may be frozen.
Disclaimer: The nutrition facts and weight listed above are a guideline only and are supplied as a courtesy to our customers. The nutrition facts are based on one particular flavour and were current and accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time they were entered. Some flavours may be different in terms of nutritional information, servings per container and weight. Please note that manufacturers often change formulas or ingredients without notifying us.